I’m here,
at this carnival.
I’m surrounded by
laughter, shrieks, and giggles.
I’ve prepared for
this event for two weeks.
My breath tastes like
toothpastes, my hair smells recently shampooed.
I had cheerios this
morning.
I make my way to the lemonade
stand,
I’m parched from the
warmth of the sun.
I sit in the shade of
a bubble gum machine.
It’s rainbow colors
make me
Cheerful.
I slip my sandals off
and feel the cool grass with my bare toes.
I look around…
A woman is pulling
her son through a line
Of excited
coaster-fanatics.
One of the boy’s bright blue Heart-balloons
Slips out of his
clammy white palm.
I catch it
and grip it tight.
I won’t let it float
away.
Not today not ever.
This collection of small, poignant moments makes for a lovely and descriptive read. Not to mention the fact that the last line packs quite an emotional punch - I'm not sure if that was your intention, but if it was...wow.
ReplyDeletei loved this. I’m not entirely sure what the deeper meaning is to it or if there is one but whatever it is i love it
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the concept of this poem, but I feel like it would flow better if the sentences were formatted a little differently. I also like that you included some background information about the day's activities, but I would have found it more interesting if you would have used more descriptive words to illustrate them. Nonetheless, it was cute. :)
ReplyDeleteI like the feeling of the poem
ReplyDeleteI think the last line is saying that your not going to let this memory go.
I like how you streached out the poem matches the mood of the memory
Love the last line.
Rand Hillyer
That last line made the entire poem seem a bit... mysterious. I love it!
ReplyDeleteaww this poem is so cute I love it so much you really spelled out the story and in a very pretty way
ReplyDelete