As if that were truly its scent.
But I know flowers, and this was anything but
More fruity, you see, than floral.
Perfume in a box, sent to my door
(Did you catch the pun that I made?).
I might not've seen it, and gone on with my life
If it hadn't tripped me and broken three teeth.
There wasn't a love note, there was no need
The sunlight slanting through the glass was enough.
I took it outside, to the back of the house
And threw it down as hard as I could.
The ground was so soft, the grass was so green
You wouldn't think the bottle would break
But it shattered on impact, such a crisp sound
And spilled fruity perfume onto black earth.
The shards still lie where they landed
Sinking down into the dirt.
He sent me perfume, but I don't even wear it
And he doesn't know who I am.
wow, wasnt expecting it to turn out like it did. i like that you didnt say you were angry but you showed it through actions. very impactful.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favorite poems. You're kind of saying that it's just perfume. Why would he send you something so meaningless is kind of where you're coming from right? I love it. I feel like a lot of females can relate to this poem. It's awesome.
ReplyDelete