Later than usual,
I made my way,
Twisting and winding,
Through the ally ways.
Pitch dark,
Or very nearly,Enveloped me,
But I feared the dark
Far less than the bright, violent streets.
Safety belongs to those
who stay hidden.
The skies cried,
Don't they always?,
Forming puddles beneath
Me that I made
No effort to avoid.
Garage lights flickered,
And the moon beamed down,
But it was still a
Chore to see through the
Thick, wet air.
I wondered if anyone
could even see me if they tried.
Then, beneath the ledge
Of a decaying garage
I saw a little ball of fur
Who sat,
And stared.
Seeking a dry spot,
Perhaps even friendship,
I trudged on over
And kneeled before
The tiny creature.
I've never seen such
boney anguish.
Its' fur was in patches,
Its' spine and ribs
Nearly ripped their way out
Of its' poor, agitated flesh,
And it barley managed a pur as I petted it.
It was there I sat,
For too long, I'm sure,Caressing, nudging, loving
That sad creature.
It's purs were for so long steady,
I almost didn't notice
when they altogether stopped.
I kept petting,
Hopeful,
But the warmth
Had already gone,
And I already knew.
At least the kitten didn't have to pass in isolation.
oh my goodness this was so sad but at the same time heart warming. i loved the line " saftey belongs to those who stay hidden" and how you depicted the cat and the last moments it had!
ReplyDeleteawwww poor kitty. its sweet you made its last few minutes happy ones though. I love the line safety belongs to those who stay hidden because it made me think
ReplyDeleteOMG THAT IS SO SAD!!! i like it. i didnt expect it,. but that was SO SAD!!!
ReplyDeleteThis poem has very vivid imagery! It began incredibly strong, but seemed to lose its way slightly later on. Overall though, definitely one of the better poems I read.
ReplyDeleteI like how much emotion that you put in to it. It was sad but it shows that when life is ending. Sometimes you need a helping hand or a hand to hold in ones ending mouemnts.
ReplyDeletei loved the imagrey in this poem it was amazing
ReplyDelete