Thursday, February 20, 2014

Splendor

Microscopic grains of sand weld themselves onto my sunburned calves
As I wade deeper into the cerulean waters.
With every step, I kick up a tornado around my heels,
Instigating a wild frenzy of frantic fish.
With colors parallel to those of the sand,
The fish appear to be transparent;
Shadows devoid of a subject.
Like “Memory Foam”, the sand molds around my foot
Concaving beneath my sinking toes.
Anxious not to descend into the depths of the Caribbean,
I scuttle to the left,
Disturbing a petite crab’s midday siesta.
Startled by the sight of this “sand flea”
I scamper towards the distant shore,
Towards the safety of the other tourists,
Ignorant of the splendor of a crab.

5 comments:

  1. The last line is melancholic in a way that I think is hard for a lot of people to pull off. That's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked the way that you showed me what was going on insted of telling me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the imagery of the poem
    Love the language you used
    like the 8th line down from the top.
    Rand Hillyer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagery and prose was perfect in this! My favorite part was:
    "Microscopic grains of sand weld themselves onto my sunburned calves
    As I wade deeper into the cerulean waters.
    With every step, I kick up a tornado around my heels,
    Instigating a wild frenzy of frantic fish.
    With colors parallel to those of the sand,
    The fish appear to be transparent;
    Shadows devoid of a subject.
    Like “Memory Foam”, the sand molds around my foot
    Concaving beneath my sinking toes.
    Anxious not to descend into the depths of the Caribbean,
    I scuttle to the left,
    Disturbing a petite crab’s midday siesta.
    Startled by the sight of this “sand flea”
    I scamper towards the distant shore,
    Towards the safety of the other tourists,
    Ignorant of the splendor of a crab."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made me feel warm and like I was on vaccation and able to relax and actually see the crab dancing around. Also all the similies and metaphors gave a very vivid sense of feel and sight. - Haiden Sloan

    ReplyDelete