Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Moment He Started Living


The potent words slipped off her tongue

Soon dancing through my ears

My body tightened, locking in agony while

My sister and brother both cringed in sorrow.

The day we heard those words

Was the day we lost part of our world.

Now on our way to say goodbye

To the Man who raised us so

One moment led to the next

Soon to a memory I will never forget.

Laying so hopeless

To be a man once of strength, so weak.

To tell you how it feels

Could never be obtained.

There was much to say, yet nothing sputtered

Just mutters, and moans.

His hand was cold and dry as I grasped it one last time

He could hear me, but could not speak.

“I forgive you daddy, I love you so much”

He lifted his hand, towards my face

Reaching but not knowing where

I bent over and embraced him

I felt the beat of his heart, following its rhythm

Slow and steady, but faint

I took all I could

Reminisced the last moments, making them last

He relived his tension

His fight was over, finally at ease

He left a world of pain

And now he has started living

Free to fly, free of temptation

Drifting through the clouds

No more sorrow, now a new man.

The Day he started living, was the day I started breathing

So much reckoning in past days

So much damage

To know he is resting,

Watching from above.

Is enough of a memory

To free not only him

But me.

3 comments:

  1. i this poem it was very touching but i wouldn’t have made there be so many lines after and now he started living because that is a great line and i feel like continuing it for as long as you did really takes away from that line

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel the emotion in the poem
    I love the ending
    I like line 27
    I like how you streached out the poem
    Rand Hillyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great poem and I like the length and what you ended it with relating back that you actually have come out of your sorrow and it really gives a sense of the pain of the pain of loss. - Haiden Sloan

    ReplyDelete