Across the backyard,
Almost tripping over tree roots,
To the slanted shed.
Light beams peeked
through
Cracks in the walls,Letting me know that my father
Was indeed there.
After a hard shove,
And yet another,The door finally gave way
And let me inside.
He looked up briefly,
Flashed a smile,Before going back to
His task.
A meat grinder,
Speckled with green paint,Sat on the table where he worked,
Alongside a container of ground beef.
I stood there,
My chin resting on the
table,Me on my tippy toes just to reach,
And let the feeling of contentment fill me.
My father was here,
Making sure that we had
meals,Any and everything we need to live comfortably,
Providing for his family
I think that you've accurately captured the feeling that a very young child gets, when they see their parent or parents doing something that they know is for them or for the family. It's as if everything is right with the world, and your poem holds conveys that emotion beautifully.
ReplyDeletei liked how simplistic yet touching this poem was
ReplyDeleteThis was really cute. You had a great use of imagery. I especially liked the phrase, "I stood there, my chin resting on the table, me on my tippy toes just to reach, and let the feeling of contentment fill me."
ReplyDeleteI love this poem
ReplyDeleteLove how you ended the poem
Love how you portray your dad
I like the fourth paragraph
Rand Hillyer