Thursday, February 20, 2014

Waist Deep


Waist deep in the 40 degree water

The reflective pain unbroken

Except for the ripples

From an artificial fly

the peaks of the jagged mountains lie at my feet

the strong current

trying to pull my feet from underneath me

the occasional bite from a disappointed fish

Pulling the fly under and bringing life to the tenchenles line

bringing the fish just into view through the mirror

before they rid themselves of the imposters hook

there is now place I would rather be.     

6 comments:

  1. This, I have to tell you, is an absolutely beautiful description of fly-fishing. The descriptive and poetic language, mixed in with the technical terms, make for a startlingly-clear image of the scene. I feel as if I'm actually here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you compared the water to a mirror.
    I like the immagry of the mountains
    Liked how you portray the hook and line.
    Rand Hillyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your diction was very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It almost gives a point of view from the fish's prepective and is an example of a sanctuary and relaxation. Very postive and happy - Haiden Sloan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with haily you have good word choice and you feel like your sitting with you

    ReplyDelete
  6. This poem appeals to a lot of senses and the diction is very powerful!

    ReplyDelete